14 thoughts on “Should we put shark nets in the ocean?

1. Hi Blaine20 here. I think shark nets shouldn’t be put up because endangered species could be caught in them but also poor defenceless marine animals can get caught. Maybe the lifeguards should use detectors or drones from the sky or sea so they know when the sharks are coming.

• Hi Blaine, I disagree with you because I think that Shark nets should be put In the ocean. Sharks are really dangerous and they kill people.

• Hello Aaron, you have given a clear reason for your opinion. Some people say that sharks live in the ocean, it’s their home, and where they find their food. Shark nets might protect people from dangerous sharks, but Blaine has mentioned some problems with shark nets which mean sharks and other marine animals can be killed by the nets. Can you please do some research and find out how many people have actually been attacked by sharks in Australia in the last few years?

• Ms McKay, this year there have been 12 Shark attacks in Australia. In two attacks, people got killed, six people were injured and four were not injured. So I think we should put shark nets up still.

• That’s interesting, Aaron. Twelve shark attacks in Australia in 2016 so far, and only two of them caused death. But guess what? There were 1,273 road crash deaths in Australia between September 2015 and September 2016. Do you think it could be better to spend all the money needed for shark nets on more research or education or resources to help the number of road fatalities to decrease?

• HI Blaine, it’s good to see that you’ve thought about more than just the sharks! I like the idea of detectors or drones to assist with shark watch. Is such technology available for use or hasn’t it been invented yet?

2. Hello Mrs McKay, l agree, Aaron, there need to be shark nets in the ocean to keep people safe from sharks. Sharks should be KILLED because they are dangerous. Mitchell

• Hi Mitchell, thanks for sharing your opinion about shark nets and giving a reason. Do you think we should kill every animal that’s dangerous to people? Cars are dangerous and can kill people too. Should we destroy all cars? What do you think?

• Ms McKay, we should kill all dangerous animals in the ocean and on land to keep us safe, but cars are transport so they help us.

• Mitchell, I’d be very sad if we killed ALL dangerous animals! Don’t you think people can learn to live with dangerous animals as their neighbours? Is it the animal’s fault if they are living their life the way they were born and a person gets in the way?

3. I don’t think shark nets should be put into the ocean because they kill other animals.
    Also, nets will break because of big waves. It will cost a lot of money for nets and fixing the holes.

• Courtney, you’ve thought about this carefully. It would cost a lot of money to have shark nets at EVERY Australian beach! Is there another way to help people stay safe from sharks? Blaine has some ideas. What do you think of them?

4. Mrs McKay
    I agree with Blaine that nets can hurt marine animals and I don’t think nets should be used. I agree it will be good to see if there is sharks in the ocean close to shore.